Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Lachlan's Latest Reading Picks

As you know, we are big fans of the public library. We very much enjoy nursery rhyme hour, playing with the other bubs and perusing though the children's board books. It is a wonderful place and I don't understand why more people don't make use of it. It amazes me when I tell people I check out books at the libary and they look at me as if a light bulb has just been switched on and say, 'Gee, I don't know why I never thought of that...' Well, think about it!...It is a wonderful place to borrow books at no cost to you (assuming you can get your tushy back to the drop-off box by their due date) If not just go online and renew them for another 3 weeks. Gotta love that!

We checked out some new books over the course of the last month and also a few baby cds including, Baby Einstein's Meet the Orchestra and Bush Baby. I recommend Meet the Orchestra as it introduces babies to the sounds of each indiviual intrument. There are studies that show that listening to melodies with a single instrument help with brain development. There is then a part where you have to guess what instument is now playing...could be even challenging for grown-ups who didn't play in a band. I had fun outsmarting my hubby who seems to be a scholar in all things. I have to impress him any chance I get! Finally, it blends all the instruments starting from a solo, a duet, etc. Lachlan enjoys playing his keyboard during the symphony.

Bush Baby is a compilation of tracks inspired by sounds of the Australian bush with an Aboriginal feel. This is the first CD I played where Lachlan actually got into trying to 'dance' with the rhythm by imitating me; waving his arms in the air and bouncing around. He is a definite be-boper!

Lachlan's Library Picks:

Baby Einstein: Meet the Orchestra (CD)
Bush Baby (CD)
That's Not My Monkey... (Usbourne Touchy-Feely board book...surprisingly not a favourite as he LOVES all the others)
Bush Babies (board book)
Peek-a-boo Baby

New Editions to our home library:

That's Not My Mermaid... (so far a big hit. loves all the textures, especially the mermaid's scaly tail)
That's Not My Dinosaur...
Hide and Seek Santa (Flip-a-flap)
Hide and Seek Snowman (Flip-a-flap)

It has been a lot of fun watching Lachlan master the flip-a-flap books. I picked these up at a dollar shop and they were surprisingly of very good quality and actually more than 4 pages! The flaps open different directions on various pages so Lachlan really had to think about how the next flap was different from the one before it. I notice that he has favourite pages. Ones he gets very smiley about and starts the doggie panting or he will grab the book from me and immediatley look for that page and then play with it until he is over it. We have also revisited his very first board book; Colors Flip-a Face. He now seems to recognise what glasses are as when he sees those pages now he get sooooooo excited and fiddles with the pages endlessly. I believe it is because his father wears glasses as do I in the evenings at home. He is constantly trying to grab them and his told, "Gentle, mommy's glasses." He must like the ones in the book because he can grab them all he likes!

No comments:

Post a Comment