Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The First Snip



 Well, today I bit the bullet and took Lachlan with me to see Toni, my stylist. It was time for him to get a new do! His first time to the hairdresser. I couldn't believe the time had come already. His hair had been getting closer to his eyes for awhile so it was inevitable. I could no longer do the punk rocker mohawk and the the bed head look wasn't cutting it anymore. I was on my way out the door to the salon and hubby suggested that we take Lachlan along. At first my neurotic maternal instincts kicked in, you know, the ones that are irrational that just want you to keep your little tot a baby forever, but reason tackled her down and made me realise the time had come. After all, I really didn't want him to start preschool looking like Jesus. At the rate his hair is growing all we would have had to do was buy him some sandals and don him in a robe and he would be good to go. Although I am a Christian, I thought that perhaps this might be over-doing it. After all I don't want him thinking I expect him to walk-on water...though in my mind he already does...that is the neurotic mother taking over again.

After my hair was cut, Lachlan sat on my lap and Toni my stylist wrapped a plastic smock around his little neck. He looked so grown up, except for the pacifier, of course. I thought that he might squirm but he just sat there very patiently. I watched in anticipation as Toni raised the scissors to take the first snip....and there it was. Tiny little stands of hair falling onto the top of his head; a few little clumps were gathered, placed in an envelope to go in his baby scrapbook...a somewhat odd tradition I think. Probably started my some other crazy mom centuries ago who wanted to hold on to as much of her child's infancy as she could. I have every intention of adding the keepsake to his scrapbook. That being said, I haven't even gotten pass the page with his ultrasound pictures so it might be awhile. I might just find it ten years later in a drawer with  four other little envelopes with my future children's hair. The intention is there though so that has to count for something!

No comments:

Post a Comment