Thursday, July 21, 2011

Noelle Mountain

Anyone who is a parent of more than one child knows it can be a bit tough juggling their attention between the two; especially if you have a child who is eager to share his every accomplishment. Lachlan is a great big brother but he certainly can have his moments when he doesn't want his sister be involved in anything. This is a part of the adaption process when you are no longer the only child; sharing affections and objects with others can seem 'not so fun.'

A few weeks ago we had a week or two straight were Lachlan just didn't want Noelle next to us when we were playing together. She of course is a baby and likes stimulation and interaction, after all she is human! I always have her sitting in her bouncy seat or plopped ever so snuggly in our bean bag chair so she can hear and watch us play. I always look at her and ask her questions when role playing just as I do with Lachlan. Noelle is a happy baby and will never disappoint-she always gives a smile and giggle back.

The other day I made the mistake of showing Noelle a train while Lachlan and I were playing. He did not like this. These are his trains, of course, not some slobbery baby's! I explained to him not to worry. She's just looking at it, she's too little to ply with his toys...yet! Well, to Lachlan, simply looking at the train was unacceptable. I obeyed his request as I didn't want a jealous rage to begin and Noelle, certainly cared none the less. This reaction went on for a week and finally I decided we are going to make Noelle a positive association when it comes to play, not a negative one. If I can convince him that Noelle has something to offer by being around, he'll be more likely to accept it. So you might be asking, "what does a drooly, baby that sits around like a sack of potatoes have to offer?" Well, I'll tell you...

So Lachlan and I being playing trains as usual. He's 'Lady' and I am 'Rosie.' (from the Thomas and Friends collection, just in case you aren't in the steamie groove). Noelle is sitting quietly on the bean bag chair and all is good. She's being her sweet and most gassy self as usual...Just smiling away (probably the gas...) I ask Lachlan, I mean 'Lady' where we should go today? He says to the zoo. So to the zoo we chug. "Chug Chug Chug" we go merrily along. "Oh, wait! What is this?" I ask. Lachlan looks at me in anticipation of what is to come. 'Rosie' approached the bean bag chair and Noelle. "Why it is a mountain!" Lachlan likes this. "It is Noelle mountain!" I exclaim. "Shall we go up it?" Lachlan replies with an "oh, yes, mommy!"

So up, up we go. Up Noelle mountain. We reach the top above Noelle's head. "What do you see down there?" Lachlan says, "O-elle!"
"That's right! Noelle! A giant baby!!" Lachlan laughs in excitement. I ask if we should drive out trains down to talk to this massive baby in the middle of the mountain. He is very keen. We drive halfway down next to Noelle's shoulder.

"Hi baby!" I say. "We like your mountain! Would you like something?" I ask Lachlan what we could give this big baby. He suggestes some apples so off we chug down the mountain to get some pretend apples and make our journey back up to Noelle.

"Here O-elle!" says Lachlan as he gives her some pretend apples. "Want some water, too?" he asks. "I think she does," I reply and down the mountain we go again.

This continued for almost an hour. I was so pleased to seem him being a willing participant in a play session with his sister. Of course, he thought it was all about him as toddlers do, but makes no difference! Now every day Lachlan asks me if we can go up Noelle mountain. Not only does he bring her pretend food, he's begun bringing her a teether as well when she's upset (she has two little teeth popping up!)

All it takes is some creative thinking and positive associations and you can foster a great sibling relationship. It also takes time. For some, a lot of time, but they'll get there. Rome wasn't built in a day they say and for some children, a good relationship isn't either. Patience, patience! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment