Sunday, July 31, 2011

Exploring Light

So today was an excitng one for me because I got to drag out all my science materials as I am prepping to teach a workshop. One component of the training is to introduce to teachers numerous ways that they can allow children to explore light. I dug through my office to find my light box and other materials. I also took a nice trip to our local dollar shop to see what else I could add. Then, I called Lachlan to the room and that is where the fun began...

For this exploration, you need a light box or you can make on yourself if you have an old table, a light and some opaque perspex. The media for this is endless, but your goal is to find things that are translucent/transparent. A must is the primary colors: yellow, red, blue. Then add in whatever fun objects you find of varying colours. Here is a peek into our material box:



You can see in the pictures that we have a nice collection of beads, buttons, glass decorative rocks, marbles, glow insects, neon shot glasses, rainbow blocks and various 'cellopane plates' which I made out of using round needlepoint wooden frames and covering them with cellophane. These are in the primary colours so children can stack them to make different colours. Other items we have on hand that are not pictured are plastic coloured storage lids which do the same as the cello plates.

Once everything is gathered, let your child go to it! Just remember to supervise if you have small objects such as beads or marbles as they can be choking hazards. If you don't trust your child, they aren't ready for this media so best to eliminate it. There are pleny of other things you can use, be creative!

There is just something magical when ordinary things are placed on light or "the sunny shining spot" as Lachlan likes to call it. The objects just seem to come to life with their glow.

Transparent coloured scales make a nice effect and of course, Lachlan saw that they were fit to be steam engine tenders (where the coal is loaded) and the glass rocks: coal. Everything is seen as a 'train' possibility to this kid!

Putting a mirror in the background adds another dimension: makes the space look larger, the objects and light reflect from it and children get to watch how the movements of their hands are mirrored.



So this was all just a nice preliminary intro to our light box. I was busy with my wee one while Lachlan was exploring so I didn't have time to do much provocation or expanding on his ideas. We'll bring more resources out either tomorrow or when we get back from our vacation and we'll be sure to post it; but you get the idea so start planing some light fun today and share with us! Until next time, Happy exploring!

No comments:

Post a Comment