Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Chorus Line




        Piano Play          

There is NEVER a quiet moment in our household. How could there be, our home consists of a babbling baby, a loquacious mum, a noisy dad, a barking dog and of course...MUSIC! Oh, what would our home be like without music, beautiful music. It is certainly the key element that gets things shakin' (literally!) for us every morning. Before Lachlan was born, ABC radio was always playing in the background with classic music serenading us as we prepared breakfast. 80's hits are always a favourite in the car. While cooking in the kitchen, I generally like to spice things up with a little Cuban music. If it is a rainy day, my husband and I will sometimes lie on the couch together with a glass of wine listening to Pavarotti. Music can breathe life into any home, if you let it.
Naturally, when there is music, there is dance. I generally have to go solo on the dance bit, though occasionally my hubby has surprised me with a waltz in the lounge room. As soon my ears hear a beat, I am off twirling and whirling around the kitchen, skipping and hopping through the hallways and leaping into the bathroom. I just can't help it. I have 'happy feet.' Friends have even told me they have driven by our house and seen some lunatic dancing in the window. Well, that lunatic is me, and I'm proud of it! I'm also proud of my husband for marrying me after knowing what he would be getting himself into. He pretty much said "i do" to a walk-on part for an on-going musical. One of these days he'll pick up the choreography; until then, he'll have to stick with the chorus line. Of course, now I have a new recruit-Lachlan. He is always eager to join in the routine and often makes up his own moves. Sometimes he's in the orchestra, tapping on his high chair with a spoon, getting that down beat; other times he is in the audience, cheering me on on watching with a critical eye.
Children love music and rhythm. The instinctive draw towards rhythm first happens in the womb as the developing fetus is soothed by the swishing sounds of amniotic fluid and the thumping of a beating heart. Movement also creates a rhythm as the expectant-mum moves around all day, gently rocking her bub. Lachlan was very active in utero. The only times I didn't feel him move were while at spinning and aerobics class, where I'm sure he was very much jiggled to sleep! The same sensations continue after bub is born as he is rocked, bounced and 'shhh-ed' to sleep. Babies prefer these rhythymic patterns and sounds for the first three months of their lives, it isn't until after this time that they prefer the sounds of the human voice, generally the mother whose is most familiar.
Now that Lachlan is a bit older and his memory is lasting longer, he has been showing excitement towards morning music time. The routine consists of of my husband and I groggily preparing breakfast as he patiently waits in his highchair for his rice and fruit puree. An Elizabeth Mitchell CD that his Auntie gave him plays in the background. He often gets his baby groove on, waving his arms and kicking his legs. I sing along with the music as I feed him his breakfast. It becomes more fun as he is now starting to show preference towards certain songs. After breakfast he grows tired. He rests his sleepy head on my shoulder. We share a slow-dance around the dining table. I kiss his little neck and smell his hair- these are the moments that he won't remember, but will always be so precious to me.
Car rides are also all about him now. He has taken a liking to Dan Zanes, another CD that his Auntie, my sister, purchased for him. I don't know what it is, but every time 'Water for the Elephants' plays, he begins to squeal with excitement. I thank my sister everyday for the CDs she gave Lachaln as a gift. They are not your typical children cds. You don't feel like throwing them out of the car window after the 100th time that you have heard them. I've even caught myself riding in the car by myself singing to them. I have to remind myself that I can switch on the radio but I think,"Oh, let me listen to 'Thrift Shop' once and then I'll listen to my adult stuff." This might sound pathetic to you, but actually the music is just that catchy!
I have always been partial to children's music that has a 'folk' feel. Don't get me wrong, the classic Mother Goose lyrics are great and so easy for small children to memorise. I like children folk songs because they too can tell silly stories, but they also tell stories in which children can relate.
We have also recently put out music instruments for Lachlan to explore. He has some home-made shakers and drums, jingle bells, maracas and baby castanets. Yesterday I took the legs off of an electronic toddler keyboard so that he could experiment it with his hands and feet. Now that he sits up, he has gotten much joy discovering all of the keys. I expected him to really pound at the keyboard, but he daintily places his hand on the key board and wiggles his fingers. Who knows, perhaps we have a Mozart in the making! He did however discover that he could give the keys a nice pounding with his feet and has enjoyed that equally as well!
Music is wonderful for sensory development. Different instruments provides unique sounds for the ears and they will enjoy feeling the various textures. You certainly do not have to spend a lot of money on instruments for your bub. Here are some cheap ways that I have created instruments for Lachlan:

Bells:
  • Buy a pack of round bells at a craft shop. Sew them on SECURELY (remember, small parts can be a choking hazard. Always supervise child) to a pair of baby socks. Place the socks on baby's feet or hands. As he moves he will here the bells jingle, which will encourage him to do it again. You can also purchase the larger bells, place one in a sock and secure with a knot. Which makes a hand held bell. This is a great activity for development of circular reactions and also creates body awareness.
Rattles & Shakers:
  • Take a few baby bottles or spice bottles and fill with a handful of small noodles or rice. Close securely with glue or tape. These are fun for baby to shake and roll around on the ground. 
Drums:
  •  Start out buy giving bub one of his spoons while sitting in his high chair. He'll love simply hitting the tray. Also give him one of his food bowls to practice hitting. These items are small for him to manipulate easily.
  • Pots and wooden spoons are always a classic! (Long spoons are not suitable for infants as they can be dangerous without close supervision)
  • Recycled yogurt containers
  • Empty boxes; such as a shoe box taped shut. 
 Before you know it you'll have your own chorus line and orchestra right in your own home. Live it up. Show a little funk and groove to your bub and get the whole family involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment