Monday, September 13, 2010

Sympathy Pains

The last 10 weeks have been very interesting and quite entertaining in our home. Lachlan doesn't understand it yet, but he will be a big brother in April of next year. I role which I'm sure he can handle but I'm sure it will have its challenges for him. I will take on the role of being a mommy not to one child, but two. I'm sure having a toddler and a newborn in the house will present a lot of challenges and even more entertainment for myself. Entertainment of all sorts of ratings I'm sure, especially if the bub-to-be learns how to rocket launch poo in the air at mach speed as Lachlan did (see past blog, titled The Poo Poncho).

I've mentioned a few times to Lachlan that 'mommy has a baby in her tummy,' he just gives me this look as to say, "what on earth are you talking about," and then goes about his business. I'm sure once my stomach starts growing to ginormous proportions and he can feel and even see something moving he'll become much more interested. We've already had our source of entertainment though. The first 8.5 weeks of this pregnancy I have been very sick- the all-day morning sickness stuff that I was so fortunate to avoid with Lachlan. I remember doing the City2Surf with Lachlan, hiking in Western Australia, building garden beds and going to the gym 5 days a week. This pregnancy has been so different--or should I say WAS different because for the last 6 days I have been vomit free and very happy! Let's hope it stays that way and I haven't jinxed it. When I first began getting sick Lachlan wasn't really sure what was going on, I don't think he knew if he should be laughing or scared or what? One morning I was in the bathroom and began vomiting into the sink. In between my pauses I heard this gagging noise. I looked behind me and saw Lachlan leaning over the bath pretending to vomit like a cat hacking up a hairball. He stopped and looked at me. I got sick again and he pretended to get another hairball. I said, "what are you doing? Mommy doesn't feel well but you don't have to pretend to be sick too, though it is very empathetic." He smiled and went on his way. The next morning I began my morning sickness routine and a few moments into it heard my little gagging boy outside the bathroom door. I opened the door and he smiled. It was one mimicking process I'd never expected to see him do. He was delighted with himself. Later instead of making his way to the bathroom, he began just making the usual noises while playing; it was if he couldn't be bothered to have his play interrupted so he just incorporated it into his activity.

It will definitely be interesting to see where all this mimicking takes us. Let's face it, pregnancy isn't always a beautiful thing; there is constipation, indigestion and flatulence to name a few and let's not forget the later part of pregnancy where it is a struggle to tie your shoes and you can use your tummy as a T.V. tray. It will be fun to see what he decides to copy. I can see him now following me around the house waddling like a duck. He will certainly be enjoying this pregnancy on a whole different level. I would jut love to see all this motivation to imitate carry on over after the baby is born; perhaps with nappy changing, or rocking the bassinet when his little brother or sister is upset. How lovely would that be? Okay, so I am might be living in a fantasy, but let me have it. I will get my reality check soon enough...7 months to be exact.

No comments:

Post a Comment